Gluten & Sugar Free Paleo Dessert
Apple & Rhubarb with a Coconut, Ginger and Pistachio Nut Crumble
This low carb dessert is great for balancing your blood sugars and avoiding insulin spikes. It is low GI (8.6) and has a very low GL of 0.93, instead of sugar we use the natural sweetener Xylitol, which looks and tastes like sugar but has fewer calories and doesn't raise blood sugar levels.
Xylitol is found in small amounts in many fruits and vegetables and is therefore considered natural. Humans even produce small quantities of it via normal metabolism. It is a common ingredient in sugar-free chewing gums, candies, mints, diabetes-friendly foods and oral-care products. Xylitol has a similar sweetness as regular sugar but contains 40% fewer calorie
Many dentists recommend using Xylitol-sweetened chewing gum — and for good reason. Studies have determined that Xylitol boosts dental health and helps prevent tooth decay.
Coconut Flour 140g
Cooking Apple 150g
1. Mix Coconut Flour, Xylitol and butter in a bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Add grated ginger to crumble mix.
3. Peel & chop cooking apple and chop rhubarb & put both in a sauce pan.
4. Heat up and add 10g of Xylitol, grated ginger and 10g of water, cook for 7 minutes.
5. Take off heat put in roasting dish and top with crumble mix.
6. Chop Pistachio Nuts and put on top of crumble.
7. Place in a pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes @ 170c.
8. Serving suggestions - low sugar custard or creme fresh mixed with cinnamon & Vanilla.
Sodium 3% RI
Chloride 17% RI
Calcium 5% RI
Phosphorus 5% RI
Magnesium 4% RI
Iron 2% RI
Zinc 2% RI
Copper 9% RI
Manganese 7% RI
Selenium 0% RI
Iodine 3% RI
Vitamin A (ret eq)13% RI
Vitamin D2% RI
Vitamin E5% RI